Laverack, G. (2014). The Pocket Guide To Health Promotion. McGraw-Hill Education. E-Book. Public health nursing and health promotion for nurses at a glance. https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/diak/detail.action?docID=5502964 Health Care Act (L1326/2010). Retrieved from https://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokset/2010/en20101326?search%5Btype%5D=pika&search%5Bkieli%5D%5B0%5D=en&search%5Bpika%5D=terveydenhuoltolaki (unofficial translation) Statistics Finland. Health. Retrieved from http://www.stat.fi/til/ter_en.html Welfare Compass. National Institute for Health and Welfare. Retrieved from https://hyvinvointikompassi.fi/en/web/hyvinvointikompassi/ WHO´s course vaccination safety basics. Retrieved from https://vaccine-safety-training.org/home.html WHO´s course pandemic and epidemic-prone diseases. Retrieved from https://openwho.org/courses/pandemic-epidemic-diseases Finnish Institute for health and welfare. Vaccination. Retrieved from https://thl.fi/en/web/vaccination Finnish Institute for health and welfare. Chronic diseases. Retrieved from https://thl.fi/en/web/chronic-diseases. Terveysportti. Evidence-Based Medicine Guidelines. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Retrieved from https://anna.diak.fi/login?url=https://www.terveysportti.fi/dtk/ebmg/koti Finnish Red Cross. First Aid instructions. Educational material. Retrieved from https://www.redcross.fi/learn-first-aid/first-aid-instructions Somerville, Margaret, et al. Public Health and Epidemiology at a Glance, John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated, 2016. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/diak/detail.action?docID=4557226. Material shared in teaching
• Pre-assignment, returned before contact teaching (individual, flipped learning) • E-learning course Vaccine safety basics • E-learning course Pandemic and epidemic-prone diseases • Scheduled lectures (health promotion, chronic diseases, infectious diseases, epidemiology, vaccinations, first aid) • Exam/test
Pass/fail • Peer review of pre-assigment • WHO´s course vaccination safety basics – a downloadable document from the exam returned • WHO´s course pandemic and epidemic-prone diseases – a downloadable document from the exam returned • Mandatory participation in First Aid Skills Labs • Individual exam/test
09.01.2023 - 03.03.2023
19.09.2022 - 09.10.2022
0 - 333
Terveysalan tutkinnot (not translated)
Suvi Vierelä, Mirjami Huuskonen
• Understand, describe and use basic concepts found within the scientific framework of health and health promotion.
• Understand and identify health determinants and across the human lifecycle.
• Understand and identify health promotion action for different age groups.
• Give examples of methods and actions promoting health
• Explain health as a process in the context of increasing individual wellbeing and involvement.
• Describe the population health in relation to gender and socio-economic status.
• Understand the basic epidemiological concepts e.g. life expectancy at birth, morbidity, mortality, the disability-adjusted life year (DALY).
• Understand the definitions of disease occurrence, e.g. prevalence, incidence.
• Understand, with the help of sources of epidemiological data, the most significant causes of illness and communicable and non-communicable diseases.
• Explain the role of disease prevention and health promotion.
• Understand the concepts of endemic, epidemic and pandemic.
• Can justify the need for vaccination, know the different types of vaccines, know preventable diseases and vaccines included in the Finnish national vaccination program.
• Assess and act appropriately in accidents, have knowledge to the correctly in case of illness, have knowledge of cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the use of defibrillator
-cover actions taken to assist in an accident or attack of illness.
Degree Programme in Health Care, Nursing
Check the date of exam from the timetable. Check the dates of general exam retakes.
Study activities (134h/5cr) • Lectures - 36 hours (includes test/exam) • Individual studies - 48 hours • Online-based studies - 48 hours