Literature/sources presented at learning platform (Diakle)
Independent work;lectures; skill labs and simulation teaching; written exam
Evaluation scale: 1-5/ failed. Evaluation is based on assessment of the written exam and participating the working process. Read about the assessment criteria at Diak: https://www.diak.fi/en/assessment/
06.11.2023 - 08.12.2023
01.03.2023 - 19.03.2023
0 - 333
Terveysalan tutkinnot (not translated)
Hanna Dombret, Sabina Hentilä
The aim of the course is to give
• Basic knowledge related to children’s and women’s health during the various
stages of their lifecycle
• Basic understanding of female and family care
• Support to the well-being of families.
The student is expected to
• Demonstrate basic competencies in contextual-, clinical-, and medical care in pediatric, gynecological and maternity care.
• Recognize and discuss the most common gynecological diseases, their prevention and care.
• Explain the main themes related to a child´s normal development cycle.
• Display knowledge of basic pediatric care: being able to recognize and communicate the most common diseases during childhood and adolescence.
• Identify factors related to normal pregnancy, childbirth and child care.
• Guide patients and families regarding reproductive health
• Be able to delineate aspects related to family-centered care
The student has to pass the course to go out on Learning and tutoring in health care and nursing-practical training.
Degree Programme in Health Care, Nursing
Course content: Pediatric Care 1 cr • The child as a patient, special aspects related to pediatric care (medication, age/level of maturity) • Anatomical differences in children that affect treatment and medication administration •The core of medical and surgical pediatric care (most common aspects) • The main illnesses in children and adolescents as well as the medical grounds for treatment Activating lectures: Children and adolescent as a patient: principles of care, The core of Family Nursing, Children and Adolescent as medical or surgical patient, Preparation a Child or Adolescent and their Family for a procedure, The most common infectious diseases, Children or Adolescent as trauma patient, Intensive care of Children or an Adolescent Care of Women 1 cr • Women as patients • Most common gynecological problems and diseases and their impact on women and their families • Basics of reproductive health • Knowledge of common contraceptives • Knowledge of normal pregnancy, delivery, and postpartum care. Activating lectures: Reproductive health, Contraception, Treatment of infertility, Treatment of miscarriage, Treatment of Abortions, The most common Gynecological Diseases and their Prevention and care, Pregnancy, Maternity health care, Delivery and Postpartum care, Emergency delivery Pediatric drug administration 1 cr Drug calculations Principles of drug administration Administration of medication Pain and anxiety Non-medical pain relief Skill labs and simulation of pediatric and women’s health care 2 cr Diakle-learning tests and other pre-material (resuscitation: newborn, baby, child; emergency delivery) Skill labs 1x3h, simulation 1X3h, ------------------------------------------------------------------- Learning process is introduced in Diakle. This course includes self-study, activating lectures, skill labs and simulations. In the end of the course will be held a literature examination which includes medication and medication calculations. To pass the course the student should follow the online learning step by step in Diakle. The course includes both online learning and class teaching sessions. Class teaching sessions: activating lectures, skill labs and simulations are 100% mandatory to participate.